Export bounding box only

Posted about 8 years ago by Jaap de Wit

Post a topic
  • Topic is Locked
Implemented
Jaap de Wit
Jaap de Wit

Hi,

I really would like to see the export functions to be changed. Currently the entire design area is being exported and I only want to export the items within the bounding box. All my products use the same bounding box.

See screenshot. The door is the area where the design is, the doorframe is the bounding box. When exporting the order design from WooCommerce I only want the door including all layers to be exported, not the background area.

Please include this in a next version.

Cheers,
Jaap

19 Votes

57 Comments

Sorted by
rady kal

rady kal posted over 5 years ago Admin

I am happy to announce that the new PDF export is now available in our ADMIN solution. This allows among other features to export a specific printing area.

Solution article can be found here: https://support.fancyproductdesigner.com/support/solutions/articles/13000054514-exporting-a-layered-pdf-to-any-format

If you have some problems and want to give your feedback, please head over to that thread, I am going to close this one now.

0 Votes

R

Roy Bainbridge posted almost 6 years ago

+1 from me also. Defintely need the option to just export the bounding box / print area instead of the entire canvas. This will speed up the production process massively.

0 Votes

R

Randy A posted almost 6 years ago

+1 for this feature being available to the front-end customer.

0 Votes

B

Bob Hayes posted about 6 years ago

I would also really love to see this feature on the frontend when the customer clicks the download button they would get a cropped file, as well as on the Admin side. I am using the Wordpress version.

I tried to implement Adrienne's solution, but had no luck using the latest version of FPD.

Any progress on this? I am getting ready to develop a new site that will need this functionality.

Thanks for a great plugin, this would make it even better for me!

0 Votes

B

Bobo posted about 6 years ago

It's ridiculous that is not implemented yet (in wordpress plugin).

0 Votes

F

Fernando posted over 6 years ago

Just upping the topic  :)
This really - REALLY! - would be great!

Thanks again, awesome product!

Fernando

0 Votes

d

diank123 posted over 6 years ago

I also think like you Brent. If this thing does not work out I think I'll get my money back. It just does not meet the requirements I have. However, it is to make our work easier, not to overload it. Right?

It is not a problem to change the code, but without having any guidance, it can not be done. I have little knowledge of Javascript and jQuery.

0 Votes

S

Stanley Bucasas posted over 6 years ago

Brent, can you use your canvas as the bounding box? Or is your box now rectangle/square. Andreas, what size is the item youre trying to print. Yes the scale up function doesnt always work when saving in browser, but Ive been able to scale less, until it worked, and got a great result up to 70 inches x 12 inches.

0 Votes

Andreas

Andreas posted over 6 years ago

Yes – anything to report, Radykal or Johnny?

0 Votes

B

Brent posted over 6 years ago

Will this ever be implemented? I'm referring to exporting the whole canvas instead of only the bounding box. As of right now I have to crop each one in photoshop which takes a long time. This feature would be great.

0 Votes

Andreas

Looks like I had just forgotten to add the code in the minified version of the file (FancyProductDesigner-all.min.js). Did that, and the Download button in the Designer produced the cropped file right away. Thanks Adrienne!

BUT – it did not have any effect on the Admin-side of things, and that's where the cropped HQ file is needed.

Did you also change something in the "order-viewer.js" file perhaps?

0 Votes

J

Joao Figueiredo posted over 6 years ago

I use a Mac and Firefox and I have that problem. Fix, anyone?

0 Votes

A

Adrienne Leverette posted over 6 years ago

Andreas, I had a similar issue with scaling up. The problem ended up being that the dataURL of the image became too large and some browsers put a limit on dataURL size (Chrome and Safari on iOS have this problem, Firefox seems to be ok though). 

For the front end, I ended up adding additional lines of code that checks to see if the customer is using iOS and slightly scales down the image so that it will export and save to my server, but it's still print quality. 

Sometimes I need to export large, scaled up images in FPD in admin and save them to my PC for printing. I use Google Chrome and needed a way to get around the dataURL limit.  I added code that converts the large dataURL to a blob object and that allows me to save large jpg files to my PC using Chrome. 

0 Votes

Andreas

Thanks for the info, Adrienne. I tried your code yesterday but it didn't work for me. Haven't tried too hard though - so I will give it another shot. As for the scaling, the exporting stops working when I scale up the files. Guess they're too big or time out somehow. Server settings are okay, so it's not that. My hope is it could work if it's only exporting the Bounding Box area.

0 Votes

C

Cs Áron posted over 6 years ago

createImage 

( openInBlankPage= true  forceDownload=false backgroundColor=transparent  options )

Multiplier : Multiplier to scale by

This is from the doc.

This is just the option which you can find in WP version (it is already implemented in it as "scale" when you export image)

0 Votes

J

Multiplier? What is that and how does it works?

1 Votes

A

Adrienne Leverette posted over 6 years ago

I use the jQuery version of FPD on a Magento store and I was able to add this feature myself even though I have only a little knowledge of javascript and jQuery (I posted my code on this thread over a year ago).

If you want to see it in action, go to http://www.personalizedpartyinvites.com/shop/nightclub-dj-dance-party-vip-pass-invitation-w-lanyard-blue.html?customize=1

Click the "Add to Cart" button. You will see a confirmation pop-up that has a preview image of the design. You'll notice the preview image is only of the area I chose to export, not the entire staging area.

I should explain that I don't allow customers to export print quality jpg files on the frontend, but I use the exact same code, only with a smaller scale factor, to generate a small preview image before they add it to the cart.  After the customer clicks the "Yes, It's correct" button on the confirmation page, the full size print ready image is also saved in a folder on my server and the url to the image is passed along with the order information (but hidden from customers on the frontend). In my admin, I can download the print ready file from the url or open the design in FPD for further editing and save a new print ready jpg or png file. Unfortunately, I'm unable to give access to my admin page.

Again, I'm using the jQuery version of the plugin, but I also have the Woocommerce version for another website that I'm working on. The underlying code is the same for both so I know it can be implemented on the Woocommerce version as well.

FPD is basically just a skin for FabricJS. I was able to put my export code together by looking at the FabricJS documentation, FabricJS forums and reading FabricJS questions and answers on stackoverflow.com . Stackoverflow is VERY helpful.

I hope a suitable export feature is added to FPD soon! Good luck to you all!

0 Votes

C

Cs Áron posted over 6 years ago

We have implemented the export bounding box only to our custom system (jquery version), really satisfied with the plugin. (Of course for huge prints you have to set a huge canvas size, but you can use multiplier 2 or 5 to get a high res picture. (But this is just a high res, you have to set the canvas too beause the quality will be not enough good)

Our  solution was (for ex a mug):

1600 x 1200 px canvas

If a customer customizes his design the system will crop out the bonding box's content and saves it as png. The quality is enough for a mug, or a snow ball etc, (smaller gifts).

0 Votes

J

Well, I too have spent countless hours creating my platform and I too have had the very same issues and frustrations. This is why, after almost two years with the plugin I am hoping to hire a programmer. This can be a really great plugin if someone with the printing industry insights develops what's needed. I am convinced that Radykal is not aware of the issues we talk about and how serious they are. For me, this feature request is still not implemented...

1 Votes

Andreas

Agreed. From reading the documentation, it's easy to see he has implemented a lot of requests and done a good job with it. And I am sure he'll find a solution for this issue as well. Which is why I am airing my frustration here, and not in the CodeCanyon comments.

I'm just a little upset right now from having spent a lot of time trying to get this set up, only to get this issue with the files in the end. I guess we'll have to find someone to look into it on our own as well. Still a great plugin I'll try to use and would pay to see grow. Keep it up, Radykal! :-)

0 Votes

J

Well, in Radykal's defence, I have been with the plugin for a while now and I can say without a doubt that it has been a very huge development. A year ago the plugin was very different from now and now it is much better.

In your defence, I do agree with everything you said. I too work with printing industry. I too would gladly pay a lot more for a functioning solution made for printing industry. A lot of people have already suggest Radykal the same. What I don't understand is why he doesn't develop it and sell it at a proper price, since there is clearly a market and a demand for it.

I have made a job interview on Monday, if everything goes well we will soon have a programmer making these print industry specific changes we so badly need.

Also, the documentation needs a clear update! Thanks for the update on the "Exclude from export" function. Thank you very much! :)

0 Votes

Andreas

Another example of how this plugin isn't developed with production in mind: To get a regular size print area for a t-shirt in 300 dpi (standard quality), I had to increase the standard point-size of the text from 18 to a whopping 300 pt!

And because of that, I can't use the Curved Text function – it's not set to handle that size, so it just gives me all the letters on top of each other :-(

0 Votes

Andreas

@Joao – The option to Exclude from Export is selected in the Product Builder > Modifications. And this function works, but it still exports the entire stage, instead of the area we need, putting a lot of strain on the server. I get a lot of empty Zero KB files when I try to create/download the file.

0 Votes

J

@radykal

" "exclude from export" " does not exist anywhere in the admin page! How to do it?

0 Votes

Andreas

For me so far, the "new Admin order solution" still exports the entire image, not the bounding box. And on some of the orders it even includes layers that are set to be excluded, though not all the time. The settings in the admin screen are confusing, and many of them doesn't even seem to change anything. A lot of the time it doesn't generate any files when I hit the Export button, with no reason/error.

72 dpi is meant for screens not for print or any kind of production. I had to set my stage/canvas to 10000x10000 px. to show my background/mockup – although the actual design area is only about 2400x2700 px (to get 25x35 cm 300 dpi). And this slowed everything down, made it display incorrectly on some units, and the customer preview/download buttons stopped working because the files are too big now.

This is really disappointing. Having spent so much time setting this up and trying it out, only to find that something so fundamental for this kind of product has been basically left out in the development of it. Who needs a nice custom design and user experience, if it's not usable in the end.

Would gladly pay a lot more to see a solution to this.

0 Votes